Monthly Archives: December 2013

Cup Cover Finished

It was done a few days ago however, with the holidays have not had time to sit down to up load the pictures.  It is a 10 inch square which is perfect for my chalice but a tad big for my mug.. 
finished cup cover

finished cup cover

 
 
 
middle of cup cover

Middle of cup cover

 
As this cup cover evolved, so did the design.  At first, there was only going to be blackwork on the top.  This changed as the hem was put in.  It needed the corners… Also the acorns that I had on hand did not have the weight that I needed.  Pulling out my jewelry making supplies and foraging resulted in the finished corners.
Supplies needed for corner weights

Supplies needed for corner weights

Finished corner pieces

Finished corner pieces

The acorns were attached securely and reinforced.

close up of corner

close up of corner

This is now in my basket ready for the next event..

Leave a comment

December 17, 2013 · 1:24 pm

Sneak peak at cup cover….

One corner finished.  Here is a sneak peak on the project.  
 
sneak peak of progress
 
 
Enjoy!!!

3 Comments

December 8, 2013 · 5:56 am

Carry Along Project

Looking at the pile of project ideas there was an empty bag  to filll with a project.  This bag is always filled with small projects to  work on in the odd free moments of my day.  The next step in my smock is working on the sleeves that are larger pieces so it will not work as a Carry Along Project.   Cup covers have always been something lacking in my basket.. Hmmm   guess this would be a good start.. Finding a pattern was easy..

pattern for cup cover 12.2013

As you can see ACORNS…  Then, while digging in the stash that has accumulated, several linen napkins tumbled out of the the pile.  Perfect!!!!   Silk, what colors are hanging out in the basket… purple and green.. the evening gets better and better.. off to start.. cleaning can wait til tomorrow.. 
 
Here is a sneak peak of the colors!!!
purple and green progress here is the project:  Linen napkin, purple and green silk over 2 threads.. 
 
 
 

Leave a comment

Filed under Blackwork

Looking back

A couple of years ago I started to do a sideless surcoat.  I used fabric that was in my stash and started beading.. The fabric was white with a diamond pattern that was perfect to embellish.  Being from the Kingdom of Trimaris  blue and silver beads would be perfect.  It never occurred to me that this would turn into a year long project.  The pieces traveled with me everywhere, even at the airport where an audience gathered and asked questions.  It was amazing that one of the question/statements from an older lady was “Women in America still hand sew?”.
full view sideless surcoat front

Full view sideless surcoat Front. ( fur pinned on)

 

This is a full front view.  The beads are from neck to floor and the fur is a 2″ width pinned on.   The over dress is lined in cotton and the bottom band is of linen (blue to carry on the Theme of Trimaris colors).

 

 

 

 

 

                Here you see a picture of the lower back of the gown.  The beading is done with the outline of  a V to avoid sitting on any beads.  The upper back is also lacking beads for the same reason.  This would not have occurred if I had not sat on one of the beaded pieces and decided this was not a good feeling.  It also would put more wear and tear on those beads.. And after the time it took to do this it would be unlikely that it would be repaired quickly.. 🙂

sideless surcoat back

 

 Now to give you some close ups of the beading itself… 

 

DSCN0618

beading close-up  blue seed bead with 4 silver beads clustered around

beading close-up blue seed bead with 4 silver beads clustered around

lower back of dress showing V

lower back of dress showing V 

This post has been inspired because this dress was recently pulled out of the closet and worn with the blue cotehardie under-dress..  “wow”  I really need to finish this off correctly.  As I took out the rings lacing on the cotehardie (pics to follow) i was amazed how much I have learned and how many mistakes I made.  As the tedious job of taking apart all the hand stitches thoughts of how could I have entered this in GW open competition as a work in progress….   Though the comments were encouraging and getting both yellow and white bead made me happy now that I have moved forward it is obvious how much growing has occurred in two years.  
Now comes the “refurbishment”  of this ensemble..   The Triskels need to be added to the blue band, eyelets need to be handsewn down the back of the cotehardie, and the fur needs to be applied differently.  So with fur flying and seam ripper in action lets see what happens….  

 

 

2 Comments

Filed under SCA